Computer-based simulation is one of the most powerful tools available today to support problem solving and analyze complex systems. The IEOM Student Simulation Competition is an international simulation competition hosted by the Industrial Engineering and Operations Management Society that provides students with an opportunity to demonstrate their problem-solving, presentation, and discrete-event simulation modeling and analysis skills.
- All team members that submit a project will receive a Certification of Participation.
- Up to four teams will be selected as finalists. These teams will continue the competition at the IEOM International Conference in Bangladesh. The finalists will be ranked in terms of their excellence in simulation modeling and analysis and the overall quality of their project.
General Rules, Guidelines and Eligibility
- Each team must be composed of three or fewer students.
- At the time of registration, each team member must be registered as an undergraduate or graduate student at a participating institution.
- Each team member must register using their university email account.
- Any number of teams may register for the competition; however, no more than three teams from any one institution can submit their work for judging.
- All registrations must be made online through the IEOM Conference website.
- After the registration closes, the teams will receive a competition package including the case study, supporting information, and the final competition rules.
- All simulation modeling and analysis work must be done using any simulation software
- Each institution is limited to a maximum of three team submissions for judging. If an institution has more than three team participating in the competition, it is the responsibility of the institution to decide which three to submit for judging.
- Report, in English and with a maximum length of ten pages.
- Video, in English, not to exceed 5 minutes in length.
- Based on the competition criteria, up to four teams will be selected as finalists and will be invited to present their solution in the final round.
- All members of the finalist teams must register and attend the IEOM Conference and participate in the final presentation.
The work of the participating teams will be evaluated based on:
- Model quality and validity (30%)
- Problem solving approach and quality of the analysis (30%)
- Creativity and cost effectiveness of the proposed solution (30%)
- Aesthetics of the model and submission (10%)