Team Registration Deadline – September 11, 2020
No submissions for judging will be accepted after December 11, 2020
Computer-based simulation is one of the most powerful tools available today to support problem solving and analyze complex systems. The IEOM-FlexSim Student Simulation Competition is an international simulation competition hosted by the Industrial Engineering and Operations Management Society and FlexSim Software Products, Inc. that provides students with an opportunity to demonstrate their problem-solving, presentation, and discrete-event simulation modeling and analysis skills.
- All team members that submit a project will receive a Certification of Participation.
- Up to four teams will be selected as finalists. These teams will continue the competition at the IEOM International Conference in Singapore. The finalists will be ranked in terms of their excellence in simulation modeling and analysis and the overall quality of their project.
Cash prizes for each team, as shown below, and certificates of excellence for each team member, will be presented to the finalists at the conference’s award dinner in Singapore.
- First Prize $1,500
- Second Prize $1,000
- Third Prize $750
- Fourth Prize $500
- All of the dates and times are based on Singapore time, GMT+8.
- Registration of the teams 15 July through 11 September 2020
- Release of case description and contest rules 14 September 2020
- Submission deadline 11 December 2020
- Announcement of finalists mid January 2021
- Finalist presentations at the IEOM Conf. 9 March 2021
All finalists must register for and attend the IEOM Conference, 9 – 11 March 2021 in Singapore.
All teams for the IEOM FlexSim Student Simulation Competition must register using this form by September 11, 2020.
Please Fill Out the Form at the End of this Page or CLICK HERE
- There is no cost to register for, and participate in, the competition.
- Each team member will receive a timed version of FlexSim simulation software for use during the competition period.
- The IEOM conference fee for the finalists will be covered by the conference’s organizing committee.
General Rules, Guidelines and Eligibility
- Each team must be composed of three or fewer students.
- At the time of registration, each team member must be registered as an undergraduate or graduate student at a participating institution.
- Each team member must register using their university email account.
- Any number of teams may register for the competition; however, no more than three teams from any one institution can submit their work for judging.
- All registrations must be made online through the IEOM Conference website. The link for online registration will be available beginning on 15 July 2020 and ending 11 September 2020.
- After the registration closes, the teams will receive a competition package including the case study, supporting information, and the final competition rules.
- All simulation modeling and analysis work must be done using FlexSim simulation software. Each team member will receive a FlexSim license for the competition.
- Each institution is limited to a maximum of three team submissions for judging. If an institution has more than three team participating in the competition, it is the responsibility of the institution to decide which three to submit for judging.
- No submissions for judging will be accepted after 11 December 2020.
- In order to be judged, each team must submit, by the competition deadline, the following deliverables; specific requirements for each deliverable will be provided in the competition package.
- All FlexSim and supporting files for the models.
- Report, in English and with a maximum length of ten pages.
- Video, in English, not to exceed 5 minutes in length.
- Based on the competition criteria, up to four teams will be selected as finalists and will be invited to present their solution in the final round, which will be held at the 11th Annual International IEOM Conference in Singapore in March 2021.
- All members of the finalist teams must register and attend the IEOM Conference and participate in the final presentation.
The work of the participating teams will be evaluated based on:
- Model quality and validity (30%)
- Problem solving approach and quality of the analysis (30%)
- Creativity and cost effectiveness of the proposed solution (30%)
- Aesthetics of the model and submission (10%)
All finalists must register and attend the IEOM Conference 2021 (9th – 11th Mar 2021) in Singapore
MEngSc(UNSW), BEng(NUS), CPIM(APICS)
20 Kallang Ave, Pico Creative Center, Level 6
Tel (65) 6208 9575, Fax (65) 63923281, Mobile (65) 90694033
FlexSim Software Products, Inc.
Canyon Park Technology Center
1577 North Technology Way
Building A, Suite 2300
Orem, Utah 84097 USA
FlexSim is a discrete event simulation software package developed by FlexSim Software Products, Inc. FlexSim provides software to model, simulate, analyze, and visualize (in 3D!) any system in manufacturing, material handling, healthcare, warehousing, supply chain, and more.